Debate

I was stunned by what McCain alluded to regarding abortion last night in the debate. So much so that I actually barely caught what he said, in between shushing kids.

Many others have summed up my feelings. Here's one. Here's another.

I am going to try and add my 2 cents.

It makes me sad that there are so many people out there who are so set against something that it doesn't occur to them the reality of the "whys". Many say that the "why" doesn't matter, but it does. It matters so deeply to the person who is making that life choice. This doesn't revolve just around abortion. You can say the same thing about marriage. Why do people choose divorce? I personally can't fathom getting a divorce, just as I can't fathom getting an abortion. For me, these are situations that I can't fathom experiencing. Does that mean that someone else hasn't had a life experience different than my own? Does it mean that everyone else is capable of making the same decisions I've made in my life? Short answer? NO. I've made many decisions in my life, some of them better than others, but they are decisions that made me who I am today. These same decisions, good and bad, have helped create my view of the world. I know there are others who have a far different background and have made far different choices than I. Do I begrudge them their viewpoint? No, I most certainly do not. But I also don't try to tell them how to live their life.

But to have a politician seeking the highest position in our country tell me that I shouldn't have a say in how I live my life is ludicrous! The only expert on my life is me, and McCain was saying (along with the anti-choice movement) that I'm too stupid to make thoughtful, intelligent decisions about MY OWN LIFE!! I thought this was America. Where people have historically wanted to come so they can be free to make important decisions in their life without the government sticking their nose into everyday citizens' lives. I thought America protected individual liberties. The only changes I see being fought for by the Right is for people's personal freedoms to be restricted.

Why is it that the Right wants a small government with little interference into their personal lives, but only if you believe in the same God, believe women can't make choices about their own bodies intelligently, or allow those who love each other to marry regardless of who they love?

You can't have it both ways. The government can't stay out of its citizens' lives unless in the case were one group believes it needs to control the rest of the population.

Am I coherent? Not sure. But I do know that I'm sad...and scared for our future if McCain is elected. Here's to celebrating the election of President Obama!

Comments

  1. This is such a touchy issue. I can honestly see both sides. You state your case well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in agreement with seeing both sides. I really do. I see how important it is to validate the embryonic/fetal life. I do, but not to the exclusion of the mother's health and wellbeing. I have had 2 late first-trimester miscarriages, and I can tell you the pain is very real, and there is no way I could ever fathom myself feeling like I had to make that choice. But, as I stated in my post, who I am to tell someone else what they can and cannot handle in their life situation?

    (BTW, thanks for stopping by!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Capture - DOF

You Capture - Best Shot

You Capture - Faces