Tell It To Me Tuesday - Comfort

This week Jade asks us the following questions.

If you had a weekend all to yourself, with no one to see and nothing to do, what book or movie do you turn to time and again? What book or movie satisfies you no matter how many times you sit down with it?


This is kind of hard for me.  I used to have movies I could sit down and watch and books I could re-read over and over again, but those books were read as a kid and the movies were watched endlessly in the dorms almost 15 years ago.  I haven't found a book that captivated me enough to want to read it again in a long time.  I loved the Harry Potter books.  I devoured them each time Amazon dropped the latest release on my doorstep.  But I've had no desire to read back through them.  


My favorite movies and books that are good repeats seem to be ones that made me cry.  "Bridge to Terabithia" was one I remember reading for the first time in 4th grade.  I cried at the end every time I read it.  And I have probably read that book at least 50 times.  The last time was probably just over 10 years ago and it still made me cry.  One of my all time favorite movies is "Dead Poet's Society". Again, I always cry at the end; something about being misunderstood yet accepted and how love can be heartbreaking.  (Granted I could also always watch "Top Gun" and "Dirty Dancing" just to oogle awesome muscular bodies.)


But if I had a weekend all to myself with no contact with anyone (and I'm assuming that means no internet), I would probably grab a variety of books: nonfiction, fiction, romance and just read.  Maybe pop in a movie for some background noise.  I would also probably write a lot.  It's been far too long that I have put pen to paper and actually written.  It has been replaced by blogging.  Blogging has become my outlet.  Granted I don't put out there all the things I used to journal.  Because really, some of what I used to put down on paper - the reality of my mind at any given moment - is sometimes scary to go back and read.  I suppose feeling embarrassed at the younger versions of ourselves is normal.  Maybe if we didn't cringe a little at our younger selves, then we haven't learned or grown and matured.  But whenever I feel the urge to take pen to paper, it's not an option.  I have three kids wanting three different things, so for now, blogging will have to do.  Unless someone plops that weekend down in my lap.  I won't turn it down.



Comments

  1. why do we get embarassed by what we write? during our move this weekend Jay found a poem I wrote in high school and I just wanted to die! It was horribly written and was the awkward forced rhyming. but nothing the average teen hasn't written/though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Harry Potter. So amazing, JK Rowling is as an author. And I LOVE Dead Poet's Society too!

    Yeah, I agree...I love it when they make me cry. Childhood books like Where the Red Fern Grows and Black Beauty and Anne of Green Gables. Love them all!

    Though I think I'm feeling a bit like you too these days. I don't know if I could even turn to my favorites, I'm just dying for a space of time in which I can just BREATHE. If I had it, I would probably use it to write too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my favorites, too. There's something so very comforting about knowing every scene or line of dialogue. So unlike real life, where surprises are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of books that make me cry - I try to avoid them! I think of reading as escapism and I want to go to a happy place not be sad. I know what you mean about putting pen to paper, I keep a journal as well as blogging, there's something very therapeutic about hand writing.
    Jade

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Capture - DOF

You Capture - Best Shot

You Capture - Faces