Chicago - Part 3

So Tuesday morning found me getting up and ready for day 1 of the conference.  You know, that whole reason why I had come to Chicago in the first place.  The keynote speaker this morning was Bill Gates.  Honestly, I'm horrible about quotes and retaining specific things from speeches.  Especially when I'm tired and haven't had to use my brain in over a week.  Bill Gates is not the most energetic speaker, but he essentially said that charter schools are a good thing.  But if a charter school is not performing, it should be shut down.  That was the underlying theme of the speakers.  Which is true.  Why should the public be paying for schools that don't perform.  And that goes for traditional schools as well.


That evening our parent company took everyone who was a part of one of our schools our for a river dinner cruise.  It was delish and so much fun. 




This is one of my favorite pictures.  This is the Sears Tower (Willis Tower, whatever). Can you see the four spaces at the top that look different? Those are the boxes that I stood in the night before.  So weird to think that people were watching us from that height.

Another fun part of the ride was going under some of the low bridges.  And when I say low, I mean low.  Anyone who was on the top deck had to sit otherwise risk losing their head.  You could literally reach up and touch the bottom of the bridge.  Very cool and freaky all at the same time.
This was a picture taken from the front of the boat - not the top deck that gives a little perspective.  

On Wednesday there was more conference and pizza for dinner.  Then we headed down to Navy Pier for drinks and a 9:30 fireworks show.  I love our company.  They are fun, down-to-earth, and I enjoy spending time with them.  That is what brings me to this conference every year - the networking.  When you feel comfortable with someone, it makes it easier to get things done.  Good rapport. 

Looking east on the south side of Navy Pier.

Chicago skyline from the south side of Navy Pier

I love this one. It looks like a flower.

Part of the finale.

Comments

  1. Great fireworks pictures! I'm glad you had such a great time in Chicago. We will definitely have to do it again someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think cities lit up at night are gorgeous. and it'll always be the sears tower in my mind! my bil actually ran in the tower run up race, where crazy people race up the stairs to the top of the building

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Capture - DOF

You Capture - Best Shot

You Capture - Faces