The Hard Decisions

Life is full if them. And just before we left on #insaneroadtrip we had had a session with the counselor the 10yo has been seeing. She reinforced the fact that our girl needed a different outlet other than gymnastics. I *knew* this but I was having a hard time dealing with the fact that my vision of my life was going to drastically changed. Aside from preschool, my girls have never been in a traditional school setting. They have been enrolled in a distance education charter school, aka "school at home."

But this fall both the 10yo and the 8yo will be attending the school down the road. I am still conflicted with the education side of it. This school is supposedly the best in the district but with Nevada being rated as 48th, I believe, in education in the country, that's not saying much to me.

But...the 10yo needs the outlet. She needs to gain some confidence in herself. Which means taking responsibility for things unrelated to our household. I see this need for her. We offered the option to Sass as well. She jumped at the chance. I know she will thrive in that environment. Heck, she will thrive anywhere. That is her personality.

The great thing? Sweet Pea will be home with me for kindergarten. She has never had me to herself since her sisters have always been home. This will not free up any actual time I have during the day but it will give us the chance to have one-on-one time. She is excited about this.

So come August 22nd my life is going to drastically change. It will be stressful in totally different ways. I will be making lunches every day...something I'm actually dreading. I will need to get everyone up and dressed. The opposite of which I was excitedly looking forward to this fall. There will be "uniforms" to be kept track of and forms and paperwork and probably homework. Oh gawd! Hold me! I'm skeerd!

We will give it a year and see how it goes. If for some reason they want to come home the following year, it will be made to happen. But then they will know both sides of the coin from firsthand experience.

I hope it decreases my daily stress. I hope that I don't miss all the good moods and only get the end of the day exhaustion meltdowns...of which I'm certain there will be many due to the lack of down time...until the adjustment period has passed.

So there you have it. I am nervous and excited and very scared. But I'm putting on the happy mommy face and jumping in with both feet. This is nothing new for me. But I'm also handing over a lot of control. Which is totally out of my comfort zone.

Wish us luck!


- Posted using BlogPress

Comments

  1. ((hugs)) girl. Yes, this will be a transition, but I hope and pray it not only eases some of your stress, but some of your girl's too. What a blessing, also, for Sweet Pea to get you all to herself for kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't make it easy, but it's the right decision for the girls and for the family. The transition to anything new always sucks, but you can do this (as I know *you* know), and I bet you'll wonder how you did it any differently by the end of the school year.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an awesome momma, and I hope this decision brings you many good days!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish nothing but good luck for you and your girls. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision, but hopefully it'll help in the long-run (and yay for Sweet Pea for getting you to herself!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}
    change is scary, but it sounds like its gonna do great things for your family dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like this will be for the best, and try not to worry too much about the education side of it. I'm sure you've given them a great foundation for curiosity and learning, and having homeschooled, probably have a better sense than most parents do about how to make up for any lack. It sounds lovely too that Sweet Pea will get some one-on-one time with you! I'm sure it will all work out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (((Hugs))) It will be a transition, but what an awesome momma for you to give your kids the option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *deep breath, girl!* Feel any better? :) They will do awesome. The transition might be rough, but I'm sure they will thrive. I know you didn't make this decision lightly, so I know it's the right one for your family right now. Your girls are awesome (and so is their mom!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. There will be days when the year will seem to take forever, and there will be days when you think everything will be great from then on out. It will be a wild ride, I'm sure, but it sounds like the girl's are looking forward to it. It'll all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Big changes. I hope that the older girls thrive in a traditional school setting. As hard as it is kudos to you for trying a different route to see what works best for then. And the kittle one? She's gonna love her one-on-one mommy time. You've got this. I totally believe in you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Capture - DOF

You Capture - Best Shot

You Capture - Faces